Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Week five - Thank you body for finally getting the memo!


Oh my god, my body FINALLY got the memo and I'm almost on track!  Woohoo!  Not gonna lie, if I hadn't started getting results, the cookies were going to start coming out as a big F-U to the universe.  Thankfully I had a friend who is a HUGE health nut and let me know that it takes the female body up to SIX weeks to catch on that you are trying to lose weight.  SIX freaking weeks!  No wonder people give up and dig into the Hagen-daas.  I was almost at that point, but I wasn't about to go back to square one.

Here are some things that contributed to my success (Again, I have no idea if it's true, but I'm going to continue believing in it):

1) Really staying under my calorie allotment.  Yeah there were slight overages, but by counting little exercises (like laundry, and standing) I was able to always have a little extra left at the end of the day.  Restricting calories is a huge part of losing weight, and as demonstrated by Kansas State professor, Mark Haub, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you restrict the number of calories you consume you will lose weight. He refers to his experiment as the twinkie diet.  Although he lost 27 pounds, he was severly malnourished.  So restrict your calories, but make sure you are getting the right nutrients!

2) Thanks to the help of my husband, we have been pretty good about not eating after 9:00 p.m.  there have been some days that we just had to due to scheduling snafus, but on the whole we have been pretty good.  Also I've had mondo cravings for chocolate (due to that time of the month :() and he has been really good about not allowing me to waste my precious calories on a cookie.

3) I have accepted the fact that I will have fluctuation in my weight from day to day.  The human body can fluctuate in weight up to five pounds in a day.  For women that number can increase to 7 pounds during that time. So I'll admit last week I was feeling very distraught and frustrated and over emotional and an INTENSE craving for chocolate, so it was no wonder that I lost so much between week four and week five.

I am really pleased that my body has decided to catch up with what I'm doing and I hope that we continue down this road together.  I will continue to count each day that I am below my starting weight as a personal victory and keep trucking down this road and a slow and steady pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment